Welcome to the West Island Women’s Shelter.
Since 1979, the West Island Women’s Shelter offers a free, confidential and safe haven to women and their children who are victims of conjugal violence.
Our a multidisciplinary team offers a variety of services to women and children victims of conjugal violence as well as families and friends of victims and professionals working with them. We also provide specific trainings and workshops to educational institutions, businesses and health organizations.
To learn more about the West Island Women’s Shelter, we invite you to browse this site.
Whether you are a victim or know someone who is, we can help you.
AX Social Stream: There is no feed data to display!
Many women who are victims of domestic violence live in fear. They are beaten, raped or assaulted in different ways. Sometimes more insidiously behind the closed doors of their home, they suffer insults, denigration, the constant control by their spouse. They are destroyed slowly. Their children often witness the verbal or physical abuse. Women and children, all are victims. Too many people live in terror, afraid to leave.
If you are victim of domestic violence, by coming to our shelter you will find:
- A house, a home for you and your children.
- A warm welcome by a counselor, as well as a competent and committed team.
- A coffee for you upon on your arrival to welcome you.
- A stuffed animal and a blanket chosen by each of your children to help them feel safe as soon as they arrive.
- An ear, a presence and comfort at any time of day or night according to your needs, your fears, your insecurities or those of your children.
- A place of support and empathy where we accompany women and children to better understand their experiences and to regain control over their lives.
- A house with women living the same situation as you and with whom, if you wish, you can develop bonds or even perhaps friendships.
Myths and Reality of Conjugal Violence
How I Got PTSD From My Marriage
Your judgment only further shames abused women. It shames women like me.
There was no punch on the very first date with my ex-husband. That’s not normally how abusive marriages start. In fact, my first date was probably pretty similar to yours: he was charming, he paid attention to me, and he flattered me.
Help Us Make a Difference
As a non-profit organization, the Shelter is in great need of your help. Your support is the testimony of a community that refuses to be silent, indifferent …
Adopt a Heart Teddy Bear
for a child $250
Offer support to a woman
living in our second-stage residence helping with the de-victimization process
Offer support to a child living in our second-stage residence helping to diminish the effects of conjugal violence on her or him.
Offer a coffee
to a woman
at the Shelter
List of Our Material Needs
First of all, we want to thank you for thinking about us.
Due to the bed bug problem in the Montreal area, we no longer take used clothing for women and children nor used household linen such as sheets, pillows, towels, etc. Furthermore, given our limited storage space, we cannot take furniture donations.
At all times, gift cards are very useful to us (food stores, gasoline, movie theater, children’s stores, Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, etc.).
Here is a list of our urgent needs:
- Diapers # 4 and 5
- Ground coffee
- Vegetable oil
- Cereals for children
- Snacks and small juices for children’s lunches
- STM bus tickets
Thank you for thinking about us!