Welcome to the West Island Women’s Shelter.
Since 1979, the West Island Women’s Shelter offers a free, confidential and safe haven to women and their children who are victims of conjugal violence.
Our a multidisciplinary team offers a variety of services to women and children victims of conjugal violence as well as families and friends of victims and professionals working with them. We also provide specific trainings and workshops to educational institutions, businesses and health organizations.
To learn more about the West Island Women’s Shelter, we invite you to browse this site.
Whether you are a victim or know someone who is, we can help you.
- #Ellesappelait #HerNameWas #RFOI #WIWS #12joursdaction #12daysofaction #polytechnique
- Femina Quebec We are proud to present the results of our first official fundraiser gift drive! In total, 400 gifts were distributed to the following shelters: Maison Hina in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Maison Simone-Monet-Chartrand in Chambly, the West Island Women’s Shelter, Hébergement La Passerelle ...
- Parce que les enfants du refuge ont aussi droit à la magie de Noël! #RFOI #lutincoquin
Because the children of the shelter have the right to experience the magic of Christmas too! #WIWS #elfonashelf
Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest ...
- Grâce à la très généreuse initiative de Fémina Québec, nous pourrons remettre des cadeaux à plus d’une centaine de femmes et d’enfants des services du Rfoi! Merci!
Due to a very generous initiative by Femina Quebec, we will be ...
- #Ellesappelait #HerNameWas #VeroniqueBarbe #RFOI #WIWS #12joursdaction #12daysofaction
- Femina Quebec Merci à Femina Québec pour la collecte de cadeaux de Noël! ❤️🎄😍
Les lutins à l’œuvre à notre collecte de cadeaux Femina Québec dans l’Ouest de l’Île... venez nous voir!!!
Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's ...
- Femina Quebec Participez à notre 2e collecte de cadeaux organisée par Femina Québec. Nous sollicitons votre générosité pour amasser des cadeaux neufs non emballés, Ceux-ci seront remis aux femmes et aux enfants qui se retrouveront dans l’une des maisons ou l’un des ...
- Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelter's cover photo Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelter updated their cover photo.
- #12joursdaction #violenceconjugale #Ellesappelait #HerNameWas #RFOI #WIWS
- #12daysofaction #conjugalviolence #Ellesappelait #HerNameWas #WIWS #RFOI
- Vision for Women: Sophie Gregoire In Support of The West Island Women's Shelter Un message puissant et engagé de Mme Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau, venant appuyer le travail effectué par le #RFOI
A powerful and engaging message from Ms. Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau endorsing the work of the #WIWS
A personalized message from Sophie Gregoire endorsing Vision4Women's ...
- Martin Coiteux Cela fait déjà 38 ans que l’organisme Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelterœuvre et milite au sein de notre communauté pour la cause des femmes et enfants victimes de violence conjugale. Cet organisme est un ...
- Frank Baylis Félicitations aux organisateurs du Gala 2017 Pumps & Pearls - Talons & Perles pour le succès de leur événement! This inaugural gala raised $130,000 for Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelter to end violence against ...
- #PumpsandPearls #TalonsetPerles #WIWS #RFOI
- Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelter was live.
- #talonsetperles #pumpsandpearls #RFOI #WIWS
Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelter is feeling amazing.
- #Pumpsandpearls #TalonsetPerles #WIWS #RFOI
Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelter is feeling excited.
- Refuge pour les femmes de l'Ouest de l'île/West Island Women's Shelter added a new photo.
- #WIWS #RFOI #makingadifference
- I Was The Victim Of Domestic Abuse, And Here’s What I Know Now We often think that abuse is only physical, however it's often more insidious than that.The majority of women who reach out to our shelter are victims of psychological violence. #WIWS #RFOI #conjugalviolence
I was a victim of domestic abuse. I ...
- #RFOI #WIWS #violencepostseparation #homicide
Many women who are victims of domestic violence live in fear. They are beaten, raped or assaulted in different ways. Sometimes more insidiously behind the closed doors of their home, they suffer insults, denigration, the constant control by their spouse. They are destroyed slowly. Their children often witness the verbal or physical abuse. Women and children, all are victims. Too many people live in terror, afraid to leave.
If you are victim of domestic violence, by coming to our shelter you will find:
- A house, a home for you and your children.
- A warm welcome by a counselor, as well as a competent and committed team.
- A coffee for you upon on your arrival to welcome you.
- A stuffed animal and a blanket chosen by each of your children to help them feel safe as soon as they arrive.
- An ear, a presence and comfort at any time of day or night according to your needs, your fears, your insecurities or those of your children.
- A place of support and empathy where we accompany women and children to better understand their experiences and to regain control over their lives.
- A house with women living the same situation as you and with whom, if you wish, you can develop bonds or even perhaps friendships.
Myths and Reality of Conjugal Violence
How I Got PTSD From My Marriage
Your judgment only further shames abused women. It shames women like me.
There was no punch on the very first date with my ex-husband. That’s not normally how abusive marriages start. In fact, my first date was probably pretty similar to yours: he was charming, he paid attention to me, and he flattered me.
Help Us Make a Difference
As a non-profit organization, the Shelter is in great need of your help. Your support is the testimony of a community that refuses to be silent, indifferent …
Offer support to a woman
living in our second-stage residence helping with the de-victimization process
Offer support to a child living in our second-stage residence helping to diminish the effects of conjugal violence on her or him.
Offer a teddy bear
or soft toy to a child
when she or he enters
Offer a coffee
to a woman
at the Shelter
Arranging the backyard – Alternat’Elle : Objective: 40,000.00$
Help us arrange the yard outside and install a play structure for the 14 families who live in our second-stage housing. You will be contributing thereby to a place where our children can relax, have fun and develop in a healthy way. Help us to make a difference in their lives and permit them to become children again, in complete security.
List of Our Material Needs
First of all, we want to thank you for thinking about us.
Due to the bed bug problem in the Montreal area, we no longer take used clothing for women and children nor used household linen such as sheets, pillows, towels, etc. Furthermore, given our limited storage space, we cannot take furniture donations.
At all times, gift cards are very useful to us (food stores, gasoline, movie theater, children’s stores, Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, etc.).
Here is a list of our urgent needs:
• Diapers # 4 and 5
• Two high chairs for baby
• Baby car seats (not expired)
• STM bus tickets
Thank you for thinking about us!