You can teach your children to choose a room where they will feel safe at home. This room could have a door with a lock or have a phone in case of emergency. It is important that they are able to leave the room in which the violence is taking place.
You can teach your children to ask for help:
- How to use the phone to call 911 in case of an emergency.
- Put in place and practice scenarios for calling 911:
- My name is _____________, I am ________ years old. I need help, please send the police. Someone is hurting my mom. My address is __________ and my phone number is ___________.
- How to leave the house and knock at a trusted neighbour’s door.
- Choose with them a safe place that you both know, where you could meet in case of emergency outside of the house. Make sure that they know the way there.